Wednesday 28 October 2015

Words from the Chair - Specifier: October 2015

Hopefully everyone had an enjoyable summer! I just arrived in Victoria and while I very much enjoy this beautiful city I can’t help but ask myself where are the days going? Halloween must be right around the corner. (getting dark at 7pm, what happened?) We’ve been through a very dry summer, and now it seems the rain has arrived. I never thought I would say it, but I actually missed it. We saw a terrible storm that pulled trees up so easily due to the lack of rain. We saw the “Ride to Conquer Cancer” event get cancelled mid day because it just wasn’t safe to have people continue. We’re happy to see that nobody was injured and we can continue the fight again next year.

I would personally like to thank the CSC Vancouver chapter for welcoming me as the new Chapter Chair. We have a great team that has supported the Chapter for many years and I personally look forward to the exciting journey up ahead. I can only hope that I am able to continue the great leadership carried by my predecessor and now Director Kim Tompkins. Kim has become a close friend and mentor to me over the years and I hope I can carry the torch as far as she did. As the board struggled to find attendees for golf this year, we are looking for new ideas for future years. Is it a “9 and dine” event people want, or is the location bad. We’ve struggled in previous years to find attendees for this event, but maybe the members want something different, please bring your ideas ahead. The open door policy means we are always looking for your feedback!

We have some new faces on the board this year and of course the die hard few that just won’t leave (thankfully). It makes me think of the national conference coming to Vancouver in 2017. We have the conference planning committee in full motion, and the ideas coming out of it are outstanding. We encourage more members to get involved, let’s see if we can make this the best conference ever. With Halifax coming in 2016, I think this will be a tough one to beat! I’ve always wanted to visit this city, and can’t wait to see what the Halifax Chapter has in store for us.

I hope to bring a few tidbit comparisons of Vancouver (Kelowna) over the coming months. Let’s see how the 2 regions compare. “While the east coast has Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse, Vancouver has Lighthouse Park. I think they have us beat there, but have you tasted Pacific Salmon?” Please bring your thoughts on comparisons between the two regions, I’d love to hear from the more experienced that have actually visited Halifax. Maybe I’ll stay a couple extra days in Halifax in May 2016.

James Kelly CTR
Chapter Chair CSC – Vancouver Chapter

Download the entire issue for this article and more.
For more issues, visit our website or visit our archive for past issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment